How many hedgehog species do you know? A lot of people know two, maybe more if they are members of several hedgehog groups on Facebook or follow different owners on social media. But did you know there are 5 different genera of hedgehogs and 18 hedgehog species in total?
In our hedgehog wiki we made an overview of the 18 species that are divided into 5 genera. In this wiki you can click around and read up on all of the information that is linked to the specific species of hedgehogs. On the pages about species that are also held in captivity, you can find all sorts of usefull informational articles about their housing, their diets and their specialized care needs. But you can also read about their natural habitat and the natural climate the species comes from.
Wiki ‘hedgehog species’ index
- Hedgehog species
- Atelerix albiventris – African pygmy hedgehog
- Atelerix algirus – North African hedgehog
- Atelerix frontalis – South African hedgehog
- Atelerix sclateri – Somali hedgehog
- Erinaceus amurensis – Amur hedgehog
- Erinaceus concolor – Southern white-breasted hedgehog
- Erinaceus europaeus – European hedgehog
- Erinaceus roumanicus – Northern white-breasted hedgehog
- Hemiechinus auritus – Egyptian long-eared hedgehog
- Hemiechinus collaris – Indian long-eared hedgehog
- Paraechinus aethiopicus – Desert hedgehog
- Paraechinus hypomelas – Brandt’s hedgehog
- Paraechinus micropus – Indian hedgehog
- Paraechinus nudiventris – Bare-bellied hedgehog
- Mesechinus dauuricus – Daurian hedgehog
- Mesechinus hughi – Hugh’s hedgehog
- Mesechinus miodon – Small-toothed forest hedgehog
- Mesechinus wangi – Gaoligong forest hedgehog
Article by Judith Dunkirk.